August 2020 – definitive estimates:
• The employed population has increased by 0.5% from the previous month and by 1.3% from three months before, but it has decreased by 2.9% from the same month of 2019 .
• The unemployed population has increased by 2.6% from July 2020, by 43.0% from May of the same year and by 24.8% from August 2019.
• The unemployment rate (concept of the International Labour Organization, ILO) stood at 8.1%, 0.2 percentage points (pp) more than in the previous month, 2.2 pp more than three months before and 1.7 pp more than in the same month of the previous year.
• The labour underutilisation rate was estimated at 15.5%, down 0.1 pp from the previous month, up 0.9 pp from three months before and up 2.9 pp from a year earlier.
September 2020 – provisional estimates:
• The employed population has increased by 0.8% from the previous month and by 1.9% from three months before, having decreased by 2.3 % from the same month of 2019.
• The unemployed population has decreased by 3.7% from August 2020 and increased by 7.7% from June of the same year and by 17.1% from September 2019.
• The unemployment rate (ILO concept) stood at 7.7%, down 0.4 pp from the previous month, up 0.4 pp from three months before and up 1.2 pp from the same month of the previous year.
• The labour underutilisation rate was estimated at 15.2%, 0.3 pp less than in the previous month and than in three months before, and 2.5 pp more than an year earlier.
• The monthly decrease of the labour underutilisation rate in this month was due to the decrease of the unemployed population and of the number of inactive available but not seeking work.
Despite the circumstances determined by the COVID-19 pandemic, Statistics Portugal call for better collaboration of enterprises, families and public entities in answering to Statistics Portugal’s requests. The quality of official statistics, particularly their ability to identify the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, depends crucially on this collaboration that Statistics Portugal is graceful for in advance.